lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Is it possible...

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Is it possible...
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 21:27:02 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 6 Dec 1996, Larry W. Virden, x2487 wrote:

> When using Netscape or Mosaic I notice that I am frequently, though not
> always, told as pages are downloading that the software is at
>
> XXX of YYY bytes
>
> or a percentage, etc.
>
> Is there anything along those lines that Lynx could provide, if it is not
> able to do the downloading in a separate thread?

Lynx already does display status messages

"Read 19296 of 363856 bytes of data."

when it has reliable information on the total length, i.e. from a
HTTP Content-Length header.  But I just checked and found that for
the same page I get the "of xxxxxx bytes" when I access it through
a proxy and don't get it when I access it directly.

Hmm, there is a fault in the logic so that that information gets omitted
even when it is available, and it depends on the size of chunks in which
data are read from the network...

A small patch that cures it is appended.
[This has nothing to do with separate threads etc.]

  Klaus

*** /home4/kweide/cht/lynx2-6/WWW/Library/Implementation/HTFormat.c~    Sat Nov
--- lynx2-6/WWW/Library/Implementation/HTFormat.c       Fri Dec  6 21:15:50 1996
***************
*** 569,574 ****
--- 569,578 ----
        (*targetClass.put_block)(sink, input_buffer, status);

        bytes += status;
+       if (loading_length >= 0) {  /* We now have a loading_length which
+                                       we may not have had earlier... - kw */
+         msg = "Read %d of %d bytes of data.";
+       }
        sprintf(line, msg, bytes, loading_length);
        HTProgress(line);

;
;