lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Is it possible...

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Is it possible...
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 1996 18:07:12 -0500 (EST)

Ismael Cordeiro <address@hidden> wrote:
>Larry W. Virden wrote:
>
>> When using Netscape or Mosaic I notice that I am frequently, though not
>> always, told as pages are downloading that the software is at
>>
>> XXX of YYY bytes
>>
>> or a percentage, etc.
>
>Lynx already does that but not always. When loading some pages Lynx displays
>"Read xxxx of xxxx bytes of data" but when loading some others it displays
>only "Read xxxx bytes of data". It seems that it depends on the HTTP server
>because the same pages always give the same results. Maybe some servers send
>the full length of the document while others don't.

        The variation for http servers typically has to do with URLs
that are CGI outputs or SSIs.  Some servers compute the Content-Length
and send it, others expect the script author to compute and include it,
but none do. :) :)   I noticed that Apache servers often don't include
the Content-Length header, and I'm surprised, 'cuz it seems so good in
other respects.

                                Fote