lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Configuring PPP Options in Version 2.0.0 Beta1

From: Sylvain Rochet
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Configuring PPP Options in Version 2.0.0 Beta1
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 22:08:57 +0200

Hi Greg,

If you could configure your MUA to properly add quote-marks that would
be great, that's a bit hard to guess where you answered in the
text/plain form.

On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 03:14:02PM +0000, Greg Smith wrote:
> From: Sylvain Rochet [mailto:address@hidden
> >
> > After thinking about it again, this is probably one proper way to
> > achieve that. Nothing prevent us to reset the PPP state machine at
> > session termination instead of session opening. This way we can get
> > rid of ppp_clear() calls in pppXX_connect|listen functions and you
> > will be then allowed to change the PPP configuration before calling
> > pppXX_connect|listen. Then we only need to add thousands of macros to
> > change PPP protocols configuration and it should do the job without
> > changing the API and, and this is very important, without adding a lot
> > of more code which cannot be compiled-out.
>
> That sounds like it would be great!  I just saw that 2.0.0RC1 was
> released.  Does that have this change?  (I suspect not.)

Well, RC1 is actually the Beta you downloaded, the name is unfortunate
because it's very misleading.

> Also, I couldn't quite tell if there is sarcasm in needing "to add
> thousands of macros" or not, but that sounds tedious and
> unmanageable...

Yeah, thousands was just a way of speaking, anyway, there is really a
lot of options. lwIP users should never have to manually access struct
members. our way of allowing users to get/set struct members is to
provide macros to do that. You could say that many options does not have
their corresponding get/set macro for our current ppp_settings and you
will be right, I'm probably the only user of most of them anyway.

So far I only saw the PPP stack in lwIP used with "3g" modems over UART
links, where PPP is only used in its simpliest possible form. It was
probably used with dialup modems in the past indeed but that's not going
to happen anymore. You are actually the first one ever asking how to
change the default configuration :-)

Sylvain