lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [patch #6370] Sending to myself

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: [lwip-devel] [patch #6370] Sending to myself
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 19:35:31 +0000

Follow-up Comment #8, patch #6370 (project lwip):

Luca,
I must say I more and more favour your solution. netif.c seems like the right
place to put code like this.

However, the one big disadvantage I see (and which is the reason for
preferring the loopif.c after all) is including different code for
multithreading and non-OS setups in netif.c. Somehow I think this code is
rather unclean (although I introduced it in loopif.c, hehe).

But in the end I think there is no other solution than having the
MULTITHREADING define and it doesn't really matter where that code resides...

The reason for preferring one big queue would be that it is easier to handle,
i.e. the user/porter doesn't have to call netif_poll for each netif but only
once...

Jonathan,
I don't know if the future-compatble patch helps much: users would be tempted
to call netif_poll() with their netif, which would lead strange results with
1.3.0 since that function would contain code that only works on loopif-netifs
(netif->state == struct loopif_private).

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?6370>

  Nachricht geschickt von/durch Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/