lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [task #7017] Implement DNS client

From: Jonathan Larmour
Subject: [lwip-devel] [task #7017] Implement DNS client
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 18:32:48 +0000

> In fact, it more for RFC compliance. Of course, it could be see
> like an option, but I don't think it is.

Well, as with many other lightweight aspects of lwIP, full RFC compliance is
a goal rather than compulsory, even if it affects interoperability - and often
even then (turning off IP fragmentation/reassembly for example).

512 is the maximum size a server can send, but on a private network, or for
some applications, people will know they won't ever be receiving that much. Or
they'd rather have DNS that worked virtually all the time, than DNS which
can't work because it doesn't fit :).

512 bytes is a lot for people like me who are using lwIP on targets with 32K
RAM. (Of course _I_ can modify my sources, but I'm assuming I won't be the
only one).

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?7017>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/