lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [task #7017] Implement DNS client

From: Frédéric Bernon
Subject: [lwip-devel] [task #7017] Implement DNS client
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 18:03:46 +0000

>Each of the dns.h/dns.c ones surrounded by #ifndefs presumably?

yes

>I think DNS_MSG_SIZE should go in opt.h as well as it has a direct effect on
memory use.

In fact, it more for RFC compliance. Of course, it could be see like an
option, but I don't think it is.

>Aside from that, I just remember we wanted to get rid of the enum dns_result
and change dns_gethostbyname to returning err_t, adding an err_t define for
DNS_COMPLETE??

yes, no, could be better. I will read what we said in previous comments
(never than 100 here !!!)

For the options, I move them like this :

opt.h:
DNS_TABLE_SIZE (ram usage)
DNS_MAX_NAME_LENGTH (ram usage)
DNS_MAX_SERVERS (ram usage)
DNS_DOES_NAME_CHECK (behavior)
DNS_USES_STATIC_BUF (ram usage)

dns.h:
DNS_TMR_INTERVAL (tcpip_thread used, but it's not configurable)
DNS_RRxxx (for avoid to move them again in future uses)

dns.c:
DNS_SERVER_ADDRESS (default value, most of time, replace by user value)
DNS_SERVER_PORT (should be rare to change it)
DNS_MAX_RETRIES (I didn't know, so, I leave it here)
DNS_MAX_TTL (should be rare to change it, RFC compliant)
DNS_MSG_SIZE (it's not really an option, but more a RFC constant)

Of course, feel free to tell me if I'm wrong.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?7017>

  Message posté via/par Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/