lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [task #6969] Review usage of conn->err in netconn layer

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: [lwip-devel] [task #6969] Review usage of conn->err in netconn layer
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 17:23:50 +0000

Our consensus was to only let ERR_MEM, ERR_BUF and ERR_RTE be minor errors.
In addition to that, we wanted to add ERR_RETRY (although I'm not sure we
really need this, in ip_output_if (my new 'patch' for bug #21643), we can
return ERR_RTE also). All other errors would be fatal. This solution might not
solve all kinds of errors in the really correct way, but it's way better than
now.

Anyway, I can't think of a situation where out-of-memory is a fatal error in
api_lib.c (but please convince me of the opposite :) ...

The general idea of masking is OK to me, but when generating the error (e.g.
in the netif driver), you often can't tell if the upper layer (e.g. api_lib.c)
sees this as fatal. And another problem would be that all old errors would be
non-fatal (since bit6 = 0), so that would have to be turned around so that
only new code can generate non-fatal errors.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?6969>

  Nachricht geschickt von/durch Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/