lout-users

Re: Newbie: section numbering option

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: Re: Newbie: section numbering option
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 08:43:21 +1100

On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 01:48:55PM +0100, Andrea Taverna wrote:
> Ok, here's an example file (content is from Wikipedia...):

I followed your instructions but saw no misaligned words, bold
or otherwise.  Also, didn't you originally report this problem
as a problem with @Math?  Your example file includes math but
does not contain any @Math or @M symbols, so I'm guessing now
that your problem has turned out to be independent of @Math.

My current guess is that you have a font substitution problem -
Lout is using the metrics for one font, and your PostScript
viewer is printing the words in another.  But why this should
occur with such a basic font as Times Bold, I can't imagine.
Are you actually seeing font Times in your viewer?  Do the
bold words look as though their font is Times Bold?

Another thing you might like to try, if you have a PostScript
printer nearby, is to send the file directly to the printer.
If it comes out right on the printer, that will show clearly
that the problem is with the viewer.

Also, if you say what your general setup is (which computer,
which PostScript viewer, etc.) someone on the list might
recognize it as a well-known problem.  On my Linux box
using GhostView I have never had these kinds of problems.

Also, you say that some bold words are misaligned, but you
don't say in what way.  Are they vertically wrong, or
horizontally wrong, or too big, or too small, or what?

And finally, if none of the above helps, cut the example
down as far as you can, including deleting @Include { math }
if you can do it and still retain the problem, and post
the resulting PostScript file.

Jeff