lout-users

AFM files

From: Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado
Subject: AFM files
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 15:30:56 +0200

    Hello Michael :)

>> >However, even if your printer has an Adobe interpreter, the fonts
>> >may come from a different source and/or may be customized.
>>     I've considered extracting the AFM from my printer directly.
>I don't know how this could be done.  Of course you can derive metrics
>from Type 1 fonts, but an AFM file contains more information.

    I think about PSUtils. They come with a resource extractor which
may be useful for this task. Anyway I have a list of the printer
commands (PS, PCL and PJL) which can be useful too.

>>     Since I use Linux I usually employ the shipped CD as decoration
>> (normally these CD's only contain the windoze drivers). Anyway I'm
>> pretty sure that the printer didn't come with AFM files. It's a
>> Lexmark E312L (supposed to not have PS interpreter, but...)
>I don't use Windows either, but font files are portable.  Now, if your
>printer isn't even a PostScript printer,

    Yes, my printer is PostScript, and have all the standard PS fonts
resident. The matter is that I don't know if the standard AFM files
which come with Lout are the same than those used internally by my
printer :??

>BTW, the printer CDs might also be interesting if they contain
>TrueType fonts.

    I don't like TrueType fonts, and I have Type 1 fonts already, so
I don't need them neither.

    Raúl