lout-users

Re: AFM files

From: Michael Piotrowski
Subject: Re: AFM files
Date: 25 Jul 2001 16:19:54 +0200

Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado <address@hidden> writes:

>     Thanks for this too :)). I'll abuse and make a last question:
> once I have the AFM file from the TT font, how do I make Lout and my
> printer to use this new font?. Lout only needs the AFM file, but how
> abount the printer?

As you said, Lout only needs the AFM file, so it doesn't differ from
other fonts.  I'm handling additional fonts like this:

1. Put the AFM file in a good place, say /usr/lib/fonts/metrics.

2. Create a local Lout font database, say /usr/lib/lout/myfonts.ld.

3. Create the appropriate records for you fonts in myfonts.ld, e.g.:

   address@hidden @Tag     {"MinyaNouvelle-Base"}
             @Family  {"MinyaNouvelle"}
             @Face    {"Base"}
             @Name    {"MinyaNouvelle"}
             @Metrics {"MinyaNouvelle.afm"}
             @Mapping {"LtLatin1.LCM"}
             @Recode  {"Yes"}}

4. Call lout with "-D/usr/lib/lout -F/usr/lib/fonts/metrics".

For Ghostscript, do the following:

1. Rename the TTF file to "fontname.ttf", e.g., for our example:
   "MinyaNouvelle.ttf".

2. Put the TTF file in a good place, say /usr/lib/fonts/typefaces.

3. Set the environment variable GS_FONTPATH:
   export GS_FONTPATH=/usr/lib/fonts/typefaces

For the printer, if it is new enough, the font needs only be packaged
as Type 42 font (avoid conversion to Type 1 if possible).  There are a
number of utilities for this, e.g., ttftot42
<http://ftp.giga.or.at/pub/nih/ttftot42> (Hmm, I can't currently reach
this server, but I guess that's transitory).  I'd recommend to name
the Type 42 font "fontname", e.g., "MinyaNouvelle", and to put it in
the same place as the TrueType font.

Download the Type 42 font to the printer as desired ;-) (The simplest
method is to simply prepend it to the document, e.g.:

  cat MinyaNouvelle loutdoc.ps | lp

HTH

--
Michael Piotrowski, M.A.                                  <address@hidden>