lout-users

Re: AFM files

From: Michael Piotrowski
Subject: Re: AFM files
Date: 19 Jul 2001 23:38:23 +0200

Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado <address@hidden> writes:

>     Yes, my printer is PostScript, and have all the standard PS fonts
> resident. The matter is that I don't know if the standard AFM files
> which come with Lout are the same than those used internally by my
> printer :??

Ah, now I understand what you want.  Here's my take on it:

- If this is an Adobe PostScript interpreter, and the "Laserwriter 35"
  set of fonts, it's very likely that they have the standard metrics.

- If this is a clone interpreter, but with the "Laserwriter 35" fonts,
  it's also very likely that the metrics match.

If text from Lout is properly adjusted, this would confirm the
assumption, and in my opinion, you would be finished.

> >BTW, the printer CDs might also be interesting if they contain
> >TrueType fonts.
>
>     I don't like TrueType fonts, and I have Type 1 fonts already, so
> I don't need them neither.

I mentioned the printer disks, because normally printers are shipped
with a set of "screen fonts" matching the built-in fonts.  In the case
of a PostScript printer, this should be Type 1 fonts, and the disks
*should* also include AFM files, or at least PFM files.

Now, in case the printer didn't ship with Type 1 fonts on disks, but
with TrueType fonts, these could serve the same purpose.  Furthermore,
TrueType fonts contain the font metrics, including kerning, etc.
These metrics can also be extracted into an AFM file.

--
Michael Piotrowski, M.A.                                  <address@hidden>