lmi

Re: [lmi] Should we update libxml and its kin?

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Should we update libxml and its kin?
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 13:26:05 +0100

On Mon, 21 Mar 2022 02:45:30 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

GC> I see only three options:
GC>
GC> (A) Move the repository to the free world, i.e., gnu.org .
GC>     That's too much work just to let me make one change every
GC>     decade or two.
GC>
GC> (B) Ask you to commit my patch on github yourself.
GC>
GC> (C) Alter some script (perhaps 'install_xml_libraries.sh')
GC>     to remove the unwanted file, e.g. [untested]:
GC>
GC>  for lib in libxml2 libxslt; do
GC>      libdir="$srcdir/third_party/$lib"
GC>      cd "$libdir"
GC> +    rm configure~
GC>      if [ ! -x "configure" ]; then
GC>
GC> Between (B) and (C), which would you prefer?

 (B) seems clearly preferable, so I'll do it if you don't mind.

 You might get some conflicts with your local changes if I do it, but I'm
not even sure about this, to be honest: I think that once you will have
done "git pull" in the super-repository and "gut submodule update",
everything should be just fine and your local commits would simply remain
in your (local) "lmi" branch -- which won't create any problems until you
try to push it again, which is not going to happen.

 Should I do (B) right away?
VZ