lmi

Re: [lmi] Should we update libxml and its kin?

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Should we update libxml and its kin?
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 16:15:54 +0100

On Fri, 18 Mar 2022 15:05:32 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

GC> On 2022-03-18 14:12, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GC> >
GC> >  If you'd like, please include the commit from xanadu/xml-build-refresh
GC> > included in https://github.com/let-me-illustrate/lmi/pull/201
GC> Thanks, I'll do that now.
GC>
GC> How do I resolve git-status's complaint below? The last time
GC> I saw something like this, I committed it explicitly, which
GC> IIRC was exactly the wrong thing to do; but last time, again
GC> IIRC, the "untracked" complaint went away when I pushed, yet
GC> I have pushed and it still occurs:
GC>
GC> /opt/lmi/src/lmi[0]$git status
GC> On branch master
GC> Your branch is ahead of 'origin/master' by 1 commit.
GC>   (use "git push" to publish your local commits)
GC>
GC> Changes not staged for commit:
GC>   (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
GC>   (use "git restore <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)
GC>   (commit or discard the untracked or modified content in submodules)
GC>         modified:   third_party/libxml2 (untracked content)

 You'd need to check what exactly is the "untracked content". It might be
just some stupid debug file (e.g. "configure~"), in which case it can be
(a) ignored or (b) suppressed locally by adding this file to
third_party/libxml2/.git/info/exclude or (c) suppressed globally by adding
it to third_party/libxml2/.gitignore updating the submodule. I didn't do
(c) because I planned to patch automake to add an option to avoid creating
these files in the first place as discussed in

        https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?110417

but I didn't have time to do it yet. Maybe I should, or maybe (b) could be
a good enough workaround for now.

 But first of all, please go to third_party/libxml2 and run "git status"
there to see what does it actually complain about -- maybe it's not what I
think it is at all.

 Thanks,
VZ