lmi

Re: [lmi] Should we update libxml and its kin?

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Should we update libxml and its kin?
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 02:45:30 +0000

On 2022-03-18 23:48, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Mar 2022 20:36:50 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
[...]
> GC> /opt/lmi/src/lmi/third_party/libxml2[0]$git push
> GC> fatal: You are not currently on a branch.
> GC> To push the history leading to the current (detached HEAD)
> GC> state now, use
> GC>
> GC>     git push origin HEAD:<name-of-remote-branch>
>
>  You could do this, but it would be better to switch to lmi branch locally
> first as then you should be able to do just "git push". So let's solve the
> first problem now: in the submodule directory, please run
>
>       $ git branch my # just a temporary name, not to deal with SHA-1s
>       $ git switch lmi
>       $ git merge --ff-only my # it should be a fast-forward
>       $ git branch -d my # not needed any longer, so clean it up

Okay, so far, so good:

/opt/lmi/src/lmi/third_party/libxml2[0]$git branch my
/opt/lmi/src/lmi/third_party/libxml2[0]$git switch lmi
Previous HEAD position was ece00657 Ignore stray 'configure~'
Branch 'lmi' set up to track remote branch 'lmi' from 'origin'.
Switched to a new branch 'lmi'
/opt/lmi/src/lmi/third_party/libxml2[0]$git merge --ff-only my
Updating 8d06ccd4..ece00657
Fast-forward
 .gitignore | 1 +
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)
/opt/lmi/src/lmi/third_party/libxml2[0]$git branch -d my
Deleted branch my (was ece00657).

>  Now you should be able to do "git push" and, actually, should do it, to
> ensure that the remote repository contains your changes before pushing the
> parent repository (you can commit the parent repository before if you want,
> but pushing it before pushing this one would be a problem and would fail
> with --recurse-submodules=check option).

/opt/lmi/src/lmi/third_party/libxml2[0]$git push
Username for 'https://github.com': ^C

Their terms of service are unacceptable to me.

I see only three options:

(A) Move the repository to the free world, i.e., gnu.org .
    That's too much work just to let me make one change every
    decade or two.

(B) Ask you to commit my patch on github yourself.

(C) Alter some script (perhaps 'install_xml_libraries.sh')
    to remove the unwanted file, e.g. [untested]:

 for lib in libxml2 libxslt; do
     libdir="$srcdir/third_party/$lib"
     cd "$libdir"
+    rm configure~
     if [ ! -x "configure" ]; then

Between (B) and (C), which would you prefer?