Font problem on Mac

From: David F.
Subject: Font problem on Mac
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 19:36:15 -0600

I am experiencing a very weird problem with Lilypond on macOS 13 Ventura.  When
using the Times New Roman font, the capital letter N is mis-printed.

====
\version "2.24"
% #(ly:font-config-display-fonts)

\paper {
    #(define fonts (set-global-fonts #:roman "Times New Roman"))
%     #(define fonts (set-global-fonts #:roman "Papyrus"))
}
\relative c' {
    e4 f4 g4 a4
}

\addlyrics {
    ABCD EFGH IJKL MNOP
}
====

PNG image

This problem appears to be present in all versions of Lilypond from 2.22 and
up, including 2.25.7 (using the new "property-defaults.fonts.serif” syntax).

This problem does not occur with macOS 10.15 Catalina.  I think I was running
macOS 12 Monterey at one point and did not see this problem.  So maybe it is
new to Ventura.

I do not think that my Times New Roman font is corrupted.  Capital N appears
fine in FontBook and prints just fine in all other apps I’ve tried.  I have not
seen this problem with any other font.

The letter being printed is Latin Capital Letter I With Dot Below.

PNG image

Very weird.  Maybe it is ultimately a bug in Pango/Cairo?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David F.