Re: Policy for posts from non-members

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: Policy for posts from non-members
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 18:14:28 +0000

On 22/02/2023 06:05, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
And joining is actually pretty serious friction for some people - the
more lists I join, the more likely I am to abandon attempts to help if
I'm required to register.
I second that concern.  Being the maintainer of the FreeType mailing
lists, I face exactly the same problem.  Usually, I simply enable
messages in the queue.  If I have to do this too often, I tell people
to subscribe.

It seems, however, that the amount of new users is much larger for
LilyPond than for FreeType...

Is there an option where you can "temporarily" approve someone?

So basically the list remembers you approved a post, and for maybe the next 15 days it remembers and approves without moderator intervention. Once that time has gone, it's back to moderation.

Yes it's a bit of a pain, but it lowers friction for the drive-by "please help", and it lessens the work a bit for the moderators...

Cheers,
Wol