Re: Policy for posts from non-members

From: Wol
Subject: Re: Policy for posts from non-members
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 23:50:08 +0000

On 21/02/2023 23:20, Andrew Bernard wrote:
[Of course the moment I post people will provide proof of lists that do not need joining, but seriously, most lists do. Also, services such as Reddit require registration. It's a very basic concept.]

:-) I believe pretty much all kernel.org lists don't require joining.

And joining is actually pretty serious friction for some people - the more lists I join, the more likely I am to abandon attempts to help if I'm required to register.

That said, I'm very sympathetic to wanting people to join.

Certainly an automated response saying "you'll get a quicker response if you subscribe", but I'm not sure whether forcing people to subscribe is a good idea.

(Like I've seen plenty of lists ruined by aggressively trying to prevent off-topic posts - all too often the unintended consequence is the loss of on-topic posts too ...)

Cheers,
Wol