Re: Discourse

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: Discourse
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 23:39:30 +1100

My offer is open. For the main Discourse server I run, amusingly the majority of people use the email interface, no matter how much I encourage them to use the nice web interface. [It's a forum devoted to harpsichord.] The point is that it runs the web interface and email list including digests in parallel, and you can initiate topics by email as well.

And of course, re openlilylib.org and it's associated Discourse server, I created that and shut it down recently due to virtually complete lack of interest.

One Discourse server I set up I migrated 25 years worth of emails from a GNU Mailman list into. It worked, but it was a major headache, and due to the varying quality of the source list over such a long time there were posts that just could not be transferred. It's not something I'd be willing to do re the lilypond user list, given the experience I have had with this sort of thing.

Andrew