Re: Policy for posts from non-members

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: Policy for posts from non-members
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2023 22:45:05 +1100

Oh come now people. :-) Gen XYZ people have to register to use Discord, and Facebook, and Reddit, and Twitter, almost all Discourse forums and more. Most employed people who work use email daily and countless people understand folders and filters. So email interfaces can't be unfamiliar to younger people and the act of subscribing is just entering a name and an email address and responding to confirmation emails.

Needless to worry about scaring people off. So far all the people who have been asked manually to subscribe appear to have done so without objection. Also, the aim of the game is not to attract the maximum number of members, but to offer community and support to genuine users and subscribers. If some people are scared off by these very minimal joining requirements then maybe they are not the sort of members you want on a list anyway, if such a simple thing is a stumbling block. Just exactly the sort of people no doubt we have to manually train repetitively to actually provide an MWE with their query, another laborious and time consuming task for list admins and members, even though this is mentioned and has a page on the website. You know what I mean.

On the Discourse servers that I run I have a policy page which explains policies like this in detail, so that it is plain to all comers and active subscribers. Although we are talking about a mailing list here, perhaps the lilypond.org site could have a page devoted to the principles and policies of the mailing list function. This page:

https://lilypond.org/contact.html

has only the bare minimum of contact information, with no policy, mailing list FAQ and so on made plain.

If people think an email list presents a barrier to people, I'm willing to offer to set up and host the list as a Discourse server, the modern way which has a superb web interface and also supports at the same time 95% of the functions of a traditional email list for people who want that. Many companies use Discourse now for their forums, a notable example of which is Steinberg. Something I have been wanting to suggest for some time.

https://www.discourse.org/about

Open source and able to be self hosted. The policy I employ is that the Discourse server is open to the public for viewing and searching, available to bots for indexing, but you have to subscribe to post, in order to prevent spam. So far I have never had a complaint about this type of policy.

[Re Musescore, that may have been an offhand reference just to a random competing application but on the forum page it is stated: "Log in to post new content in the forum."

https://musescore.org/en/forum

]

Andrew