Re: bad grace note spacing

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: bad grace note spacing
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 09:07:48 +0100

> Le 18 févr. 2023 à 09:01, Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> a écrit :
>

>>> The issue I filed is not related to `strict-grace-spacing` at all.
>>
>> It’s quite related.  [...]
>
> With 'related' I meant that there are two separate bugs.  I didn't
> talk about what the best fix for the whole problem actually is.

OK. I was just a bit disconcerted by the request for making some behavior the
default without mentioning that it exists a (buggy) option.

>> In strict-grace-spacing mode, grace columns are not part of the main
>> chain of springs that goes through the whole system from column to
>> columns and stretches or compresses. Instead, they are placed
>> separately. That’s the easiest way of making the space between a
>> grace and its main note non-stretching that I can think of.
>
> Yes.  The only problem is what to do if there isn't sufficient space
> for the grace note.

“Just” add a rod between the previous note and the note after the grace so that
this doesn’t happen.

>> The other way would be add very strong springs to make the
>> distances “almost” fixed, but it would be ugly.
>
> What exactly would be ugly?

It would not really be a fixed distance, it would still vary but just not a lot.

It would make it impossible to detect contradictory rods, instead leaving the
user with strange results.

In cases where there are only graces in a system for example, oddities could
ensue.