Installation of Lilypond 2.24.0 on a Windows 11 computer

From: tommy_strandberg
Subject: Installation of Lilypond 2.24.0 on a Windows 11 computer
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 17:00:11 +0100

Hi,

I’m a little annoyed over problems in getting Lilypond 2.24.0 properly running on my computer.  My previous installation was Lilypond 2.22.2 together with Frescobaldi 3.2.  Everything worked fine and the main reason for switching to 2.24 was new features making score-writing simpler.

Now, Lilypond 2.22.2was installed using a Windows installer.  For Lilypond 2.24.0 and above, there appears to be no installer anymore or, at least, I’ve not found any anywhere.  Instead, the handbook explains how to “install” the new version by uncompress them on a suitable place on your computer and link them to Frescobaldi under Preferences.  This I’ve done without problem and in principle Lilypond 2.24.0 works including the new features. But when compiling a score, I now get error messages “Fontconfig error: No writable cache directories

To me, it looks like Lilypond is not correctly linked to the Windows environment and I'm wondering if this simple linking to an Lilypond.exe file in Frescobaldi is sufficient to set up the working environment for Lilypond.  Also, why isn’t there any Windows installer anymore but if, where can it be found?

In fact, by just creating and empty score with only the version number and compiling it, I get the following error messages in the log

Starting lilypond.exe 2.24.0 [Untitled]...

Fontconfig error: No writable cache directories

Fontconfig error: No writable cache directories

Fontconfig error: No writable cache directories

Processing `C:/Users/tommy/AppData/Local/Temp/frescobaldi-igbl5ykb/tmpk46mf8bx/document.ly'

Parsing...

Success: compilation successfully completed

Completed successfully in 1.2".

I get the same error messages if I compile a file with just \version "2.25.1" inserted.

If I do the same with Lilypond 2.22.2, the log-file is “clean”, i.e.

Starting lilypond.exe 2.22.2 [Untitled]...

Processing `C:/Users/tommy/AppData/Local/Temp/frescobaldi-ole08v_n/tmp189xatib/document.ly'

Parsing...

Success: compilation successfully completed

Completed successfully in 2.2".

Despite these error messages and bunch of other as well, the score is still generated seemingly correct but it’s extremely annoying and as far as I can see, the manuals do not provide any help how to solve this.

I must admit that I’m not a programmer or a Windows expert but I’ve been working with satellite onboard software for almost 40 years, so I have some SW experience but this “kills me” and I’ve not received any response from user forums or Facebook group so far.

So, for me, what’s the way forward.  Any help would be appreciated.

BR

Tommy

Tommy Strandberg

Tel.: +49 172 7302857