RE: Installation of Lilypond 2.24.0 on a Windows 11 computer

From: tommy_strandberg
Subject: RE: Installation of Lilypond 2.24.0 on a Windows 11 computer
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 19:25:25 +0100

Dear all,

I tried the simple suggestion from Paul first.

If you need to uncompress the delivered zip-files into Programs C:\Program Files you must, on Windows 11 at least, have administrator rights.  I put the uncompressed files here because the new version of Lilypond is 64-bit versions as a folder “lilypond-2.24.0-mingw-x86_64”.  This is not the place where Frescobaldi gets installed, at least not on my computer, because I believe, it’s still a 32-bit application.  By default, it therefore, gets installed in C:\Program Files (x86).

To make a short, at first it worked until I started to “play around” with the installation to see exactly when and why the error messages occurred before.  Then after some hassle and trial and error  and many re-starts of the computer, I got it running again.

This is not a full installation investigation but there are a few things I believe are important or even mandatory:

  1. When the zip-file is uncompressed, it seems necessary to keep the structure and names of the directories unchanged.  For LP 2.24.0 it is

 lilypond-2.24.0-mingw-x86_64

                |_____ lilypond-2.24.0

In my test when I just copied and pasted lilypond-2.24.0 into C:\Program Files, I got the same error messages as before.

It appears necessary that Frescobaldi is installed in the same directory as Lilypond.  In my case, I had to specifically select C:\Program Files instead of the default installation directory C:\Program Files (x86).

  1. The handbook is very misleading as it states ( https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.23/Documentation/learning/graphical-setup-under-windows)
    “Place the resulting directory lilypond-x.y.z-mingw-x86_64 in a permanent location; the actual folder doesn’t matter; you just need to put it somewhere you won’t move it afterwards. For example, you could choose your home folder.”

With the experience of today and my problems, this seems to be completely wrong and should be updated.

Thanks for the support.

BR

Tommy