Re: chord placement in Scores

From: Michael Werner
Subject: Re: chord placement in Scores
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 07:35:59 -0500

On Mon, Feb 6, 2023 at 11:44 PM Jeff Kopmanis <kopmanis@gmail.com> wrote:
I've found that when I put chords in my score, it's printing them below the staff rather than above, as usual.  Things are normal if I'm not building a score, but I'm wondering why this is happening.  I've included my (big) .ly document and just the score PDF.  It was just very weird and I'd thought I'd coded things just like in the examples.

Thanks for any help,

-Jeff. :)

Is this more what you were expecting?

image.png
If so, all that was needed was to move where each of the ChordNames contexts get called, like so:

  \score {
    <<
      \new StaffGroup = "horns" <<
        \new ChordNames { \transpose c a { \soloChords } }
        \new Staff \with {
          instrumentName = "Alto 1"
          shortInstrumentName = "Alto 1"
        }<<
          %\new ChordNames { \transpose c a { \soloChords } }
          \altoIMusic

        \new ChordNames { \transpose c d { \soloChords }}
        \new Staff \with {
          instrumentName = "Tenor 2"
          shortInstrumentName = "Tenor 2"
        } <<
          %\new ChordNames { \transpose c d { \soloChords }}
          \tenorIIMusic

        \new Staff \with {
          instrumentName = "Trombone  3"
          shortInstrumentName = "Tbone 3"
        } \tromboneIIIMusic

      \new ChordNames { \soloChords }
      \new Staff \with {
        instrumentName = "Guitar"
        shortInstrumentName = "Guitar"
      }<<
        %\new ChordNames { \soloChords }
        \guitarMusic

      \new ChordNames { \songChords }
      \new PianoStaff \with {
        instrumentName = "Piano"
        shortInstrumentName = "Piano"
      }<<
        \new Staff = "rh" \pianoRHMusic
        \new Dynamics \pianoDynamics
        <<
          %\new ChordNames { \songChords }
          \new Staff = "lh" \pianoLHMusic

      \new ChordNames \soloChords
      \new Staff \with {
        instrumentName = "Bass"
        shortInstrumentName = "Bass"
      }<<
        %\new ChordNames \soloChords
        \bassGuitarMusic

      \new DrumStaff \with {
        instrumentName = "Drum Set"
        shortInstrumentName = "Drums"
      }\drumSetMusic

I've left the originals in place, just commented out. Basically, lilypond will place each context where you call them. In this case, to put the chords above the staff, just call the ChordNames and *then* call the related Staff. This mechanism lets you mix and match each of the various contexts as you wish. And if that image wasn't what you were wanting, hopefully this'll at least help point you in the right direction.