Re: Terminology question

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Terminology question
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 16:15:17 -0600

On Sat, Nov 13, 2021 at 3:42 PM Kieren MacMillan
<kieren_macmillan@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> > The *extraction* of parts is something that only
> > makes sense in times of computer score representation, as you’d extract a
> > part
> > of the information from a full score.
>
> I know it’s a fine semantic point… but the dictionary gives the definition
> “the action of taking out something”. What better word is there to describe
> the action of taking a single instrumental part out of a full orchestral
> score?

"Extraction" somehow doesn't imply representation to me.  It's an
operation performed on data whether that data yields a score or not.
Or I'm just imagining things.  I do like the word.  What else
describes the activity which precedes writing out a part?