struggling to get horizontal space on the page exactly proportional to t

From: Sam Roberts
Subject: struggling to get horizontal space on the page exactly proportional to time
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2021 17:41:14 -0700

Hello lilyponders. I'm new to music, and very new to lilypond, but I
thought I'd take a shot at using lilypond to typeset Greensleeves,
since the printed version I am learning from is just a stream of
notes, its printed representation obscures the repetitive elements.

Attached is what I have. Notice how the bars don't line up? I know
that's traditional in sheet music (maybe because space was a premium
on vellum?), but I'd like to see them line up so I can scan quickly
and see how the patterns more easily.

Thanks!
Sam