Re: Spontaneous change of console language

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Spontaneous change of console language
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2021 23:20:37 -0500

On Sun 04 Jul 2021 at 19:38:18 (-0400), spambot9000 wrote:
> On 2021.07.03 05:28 , Hans Aikema wrote:
> > On 3 Jul 2021, at 02:57, spambot9000 <spambot9000@toxasma.net> wrote:

> >> My Lilypond console spontaneously changed its language to French at some
> >> point, although I did nothing that I know of to instigate this.
> >>
> >> Does anyone know how I can change this back to English?

> > I would expect that something you did has changed your system locale. As
> > far as I know the system locale determines the language of the lilypond
> > console messages (as long as there is a translation in that language
> > available)

> [ … ] I'm running macOS Mojave, version 10.14.6.
> In the Language & Region settings, I had
>
> English (Canada) - Primary
> French (Canada)
>
> listed.
>
> When I deleted French and restarted Lilypond, my console reverted to
> English.
>
> However:
> In trying to determine whether it was the system list position which
> dominates Lilypond,
> I added French as my primary language so that the system language list
> was like so.
>
> French (Canada)- Primary
> English (Canada)
>
> Guess what? Lilypond went with French. Can we therefore assume that on
> macOS at least, Lilypond prefers French to English?

Not yet you can't.

Logically, the next step is to set the system to:

  English (Canada) - Primary
  French (Canada)

You should then see whether the system runs in English, as you implied
was the case before the onset of your woes.

If that is so, then the languages are being treated equally.

Lastly, you may want to ascertain why the system changed into French
"spontaneously". Here you may need help from a Mac user. There would
be little point in having a Primary locale without an easy way to
switch back and forth to a secondary one, ie it should be easier than
what you did above, deleting and adding them.

Usually, switching input language (kbd layout) is instant and really
easy, eg pressing some weird combination of shifts; switching locales
(output language) might be a little more involved.

Cheers,
David.