Re: Frescobaldi 3.0 CRASHES

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Frescobaldi 3.0 CRASHES
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2017 09:02:00 -0600

On Sat 09 Dec 2017 at 09:11:58 (-0500), Ben wrote:
> On 12/9/2017 9:03 AM, Simon Albrecht wrote:
> >
> >>However, weren't you one of those who "enjoyed" the fun of a
> >>major version update? ;-)
> >
> >Yes, I was. But I think I know how to avoid that ‘fun’ in future:
> >having a separate home partition now, I’d just overwrite the old
> >version and install the new one from scratch.
> >

> I also learned how to avoid headaches like that as well. I too
> learned that having a /separate/ home partition makes it so easy to
> re-install Linux as needed, for whatever reason...because I'm right
> back up and running right after it, with essentially no downtime or
> negative results. :)
>
> That's the way to go!

While you're repartitioning your disk, there are other things you
might consider. For example, having two 32GB (adjust to taste and
experience) partitions enables you to install and test a new linux
version without disturbing the existing one.

If you're a Desktop Environment user, it may pay to move/hide
your dotfiles (~/.*/* and ~/.*) while testing the new system as
they are sometimes incompatible with each other.

Another advantage of a separate /home, particularly for laptops,
is that you can encrypt it straightforwardly.

Even with an old-style BIOS/MBR disk, partitioning for two root
filesystems plus /home and swap comes in at just four, so you don't
need to mess with an extended partition.

Cheers,
David.