Re: frescobaldi on mac

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: frescobaldi on mac
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 12:00:04 -0500

Philippe's message inspired me to try again using Macports.  It was *much*
easier going than without Macports.  "python-poppler-qt" is now working for me
for PDF functionality, but I still have not been able to get the midi part
(portmidi) to work.

Jim, below are my notes on what I did, in case they might help.

-Paul

___________________________________
Installing Frescobaldi using MacPorts
(Mac OS 10.8.2, Frescobaldi 2.0.8)

Logged in to admin user account on Mac OS X

INSTALLING MACPORTS

- installed Xcode, downloaded from apple dev center
  (copying Xcode.app from .dmg file to applications folder)
- open Xcode and agree to EULA agreement
- go into Xcode's preferences/downloads and install command line tools

- installed XQuartz for X11 environment (I already had this installed)

- download and install macports from macports.org using their easy Package
(.pkg) installer

INSTALLING FRESCOBALDI

Use macports to install:
- python27
- py27-pyqt4

- install frescobaldi after downloading from frescobaldi site (not using
macports)

Use macports to install:
- poppler
  (with +qt4 variant (also added +quartz variant, but that's probably not
necessary))

- install poppler-qt from their site as described on frescobaldi site (not
using macports)
  (I had to add "sudo" before "python setup.py install" to get it to work,
   though this wasn't mentioned in their installation guide)

MIDI FUNCTIONALITY ATTEMPTS:

Use macports to install
- portmidi
  (installed fine in the terminal/macports, but frescobaldi still did not
   recognize portmidi)

Use macports to install
- py27-game
  (with +portmidi variant)
  (this includes portmidi for python, according to the frescobaldi site,
   installed fine, but again, frescobaldi still not recognizing portmidi)