Re: Triple b or # - do they exist?

From: Nick Payne
Subject: Re: Triple b or # - do they exist?
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 07:12:44 +1100

On 24/10/10 03:46, Valentin Villenave wrote:
<class="off-topic" mode="troll">
On the other hand, does this really qualify as music? :-)

I remember a remark that the director of my conservatory once made.
A professor whom nobody really liked had just organized an "Alkan
Festival" (the only one in the world, I think), and people had been
playing Alkan's "works" for hours all week long.
Shortly after that, one morning I was having a chat with the director
in the lobby, and for some reason I began talking about Edvard Grieg,
and how interesting, talented and yet little-known a composer he was.
The director agreed:

-- Indeed. There are many little wonders amongst his works, but
somehow he isn't remembered as one of the "Great" composers.

He thought about that for a few seconds, then he elaborated on that:

-- It may be because you'll hardly find huge, towering scores in
Grieg's repertoire: he was a great composer, but who mostly wrote
small pieces.

Then he stood still for a while, and he quietly added:
-- Well, it's the opposite of Alkan, really.

When I was at university in the early 1970s (Perth, Western Australia), one of the artists in residence was the pianist Ronald Smith, who was probably more responsible than anyone else for resurrecting the music of Alkan. He played quite a lot of Alkan in the concerts he gave during the three months or so that he was there, and I grew to quite like it (and still do).

Nick