Re: Need help with this simple lyric

From: Dominic Neumann
Subject: Re: Need help with this simple lyric
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 08:54:06 +0200

Hi Peter,

to let LilyPond treat more syllables as one, easily encloses these in " ... "

On my (2.10.20) system the file compiles, but doesn´t show the cross
character. I would copy the character itself into the source code and
enclose it in "..." together with the O like "+ O".

I don´t see what the markup command within \addlyrics is for ... do you know it?

For italicizing the word "Officiant" I tried to put this before the
\set ... command:

\override VocalName #'font-shape = #'italic

But it didn´t work. If you say LyricText instead of VocalName it
works, but that´s not what you wanted.

In addition I would advise you to indent you LilyPond code for a
better reading experience, like this:

\version "2.10.20"

\new Staff{
   \override Staff.TimeSignature #'transparent = ##t
   \autoBeamOff
   \cadenzaOn
   \key g \major
   e'8 g'4 g'8 g'8 fis'8 g'8 g'4
   \bar "|"
}

\addlyrics {
   % Doesn´t work:
   \override VocalName #'font-shape = #'italic
   \set vocalName = "Officiant"
   "+ O" Lord, o -- pen thou our lips.
}