Re: Hiding whole measure rests from conductor score

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Hiding whole measure rests from conductor score
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 22:56:55 +0200

If you read the section on "Rests" in the users manual, it tells you to look in the section called "Multimeasure rests"
for whole measure rests, which should answer your question.

   /Mats

Quoting Dewdman42 <address@hidden>:

I have come up with my own way to hide whole measure rests from the conductor
score, while displaying them for the parts, but I would like to hear if
there is a generally accepted better way of handling this, as my way feels a
little complicated.  I'm trying to have it so that I have only definition of
the actual note data and then the part and score are formatted differently
from the same note data.

Basically I defined a couple "macros" such as

    wholeRest = {s1}

Then when creating my voice data I use that macro:

    myVoice = \newVoice { relative c' {| \wholeRest | c d e f | \wholeRest
| }}

When I produce the Part score for that player I would then change the
wholeRest definition to {r1}

So that works pretty well, but I am wondering if there is an easier way to
begin with, and then also since I am going to want to have multi-measure
rests for the parts, that brings up another question, which is how I could
have one set of voice data that feeds both part and score, and the part
version has a multi-measure rest, while the score version just has empty
measures.

Perhaps I need to use some kind of parallel, merged voices strategy that is
not too complicated?

Please forgive me if these are naive questions.  I am just starting out with
Lilypond and I have been pouring through the manual for the past couple days
trying to figure this stuff out myself, but a few things are not too
straightforward.