Hiding whole measure rests from conductor score

From: Dewdman42
Subject: Hiding whole measure rests from conductor score
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 12:34:38 -0700 (PDT)

I have come up with my own way to hide whole measure rests from the conductor
score, while displaying them for the parts, but I would like to hear if
there is a generally accepted better way of handling this, as my way feels a
little complicated.  I'm trying to have it so that I have only definition of
the actual note data and then the part and score are formatted differently
from the same note data.

Basically I defined a couple "macros" such as

     wholeRest = {s1}

Then when creating my voice data I use that macro:

     myVoice = \newVoice { relative c' {| \wholeRest | c d e f | \wholeRest
| }}

When I produce the Part score for that player I would then change the
wholeRest definition to {r1}

So that works pretty well, but I am wondering if there is an easier way to
begin with, and then also since I am going to want to have multi-measure
rests for the parts, that brings up another question, which is how I could
have one set of voice data that feeds both part and score, and the part
version has a multi-measure rest, while the score version just has empty
measures.

Perhaps I need to use some kind of parallel, merged voices strategy that is
not too complicated?

Please forgive me if these are naive questions.  I am just starting out with
Lilypond and I have been pouring through the manual for the past couple days
trying to figure this stuff out myself, but a few things are not too
straightforward.