Re: Is it time to update the Finale 2008 sample in Essay?

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Is it time to update the Finale 2008 sample in Essay?
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 22:12:48 +0100

On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 5:27 PM Abraham Lee <tisimst.lilypond@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 18, 2023 at 6:17 AM Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:
>
> > Le mercredi 15 mars 2023 à 00:57 +0100, Jean Abou Samra a écrit :
> >
> > Le mardi 14 mars 2023 à 17:44 -0600, Abraham Lee a écrit :
> >
> > At the time I started with LP, the Finale 2008 example wasn't that old
> > in the Essay section. Is it really fair for us to continue showing this
> > since quite a few versions have been released since then? I mean, Finale 27
> > has been out since June 2021 and is now at 27.3. I'm not saying the
> > example is bad, nor doesn't it illustrate a historical
> > piece of evidence clarifying why LP was needed. I guess I'm wondering if
> > it's worth creating a new set of examples to show why it's *still* needed,
> > even after all these years? Thoughts?
> >
> > I suggest you open a tracker issue.
> >
> > I have done it now, https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/6547
> >

> Thanks, Jean, for doing that. I was hoping for a more public discussion to
> see if creating an issue is even warranted. The essay is a historical
> document, to be sure, so updating the comparison files might not be needed
> at all.

I agree to this. It is better to simply put a small intro to the essay
that gives the context.

We could then add an updated preface/postscriptum that puts it in
context for 2023. To note, a lot of modern music engravers have taken
inspiration from the LilyPond attitude to engraving. The Dorico blog
posts have been quite explicit about it, and maybe we could ask the
MuseScore folks for comments too.

--
Han-Wen Nienhuys - hanwenn@gmail.com - http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanwen