Re: ANN: Pygments support for LilyPond

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: ANN: Pygments support for LilyPond
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 07:31:34 +0100

Le 26/11/2021 à 07:09, Werner LEMBERG a écrit :
According to Gavin, Texinfo has no way to print text monospace text
in bold.
Here's the thing: The CM family doesn't contain a font for monospace
bold.  Since `texinfo.tex` essentially only uses this font family,
there is no support for it.

Ah! OK, of course. Given your help offer below,
I suppose you have another font in mind. What
would that be?

[...] Doing

\input{texinfo}

@tex
\textbf{ABC}DEF
@end tex

XXX

@bye

I get all of "ABCDEF" bold. I don't understand why.
This I can explain.  Contrary to LaTeX, `\textbf` doesn't take an
argument in texinfo.  It simply switches to a bold font, and you have
to limit its effect with a group:

   {\textbf ABC}DEF

Do you happen to have solutions for the whole TeX thing?  Otherwise
I think I'll give up on that and only implement HTML for now.  I
admire your TeX wizardry, but as to me personally, the *TeX suite
just makes me tear my hair out...
:-)

To be serious: Is the use of bold typewriter mandatory?  Is there a
solution that only uses italics and colours?  Do we also need bold
italic typewriter?

Well, the style uses bold for keywords like \score.
It's taken long to stabilize (not that I consider it
good, my judgement is simply not brilliant with colors)
so I'm not very keen on changing it again.

If we really need that, I can set up a solution – please give me one
day.  For XeTeX (and luatex), it's almost trivial.  For pdfTeX,
however, it needs more efforts.  I guess it makes sense for testing
purposes to have support for both pdfTeX and XeTeX.

Would be great. Thanks for your help.

Jean

     Werner

PS: Since my patch to `@setcolor` is probably not going upstream, I
     will also set up a solution without modifying `texinfo.tex`.