Re: ANN: Pygments support for LilyPond

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: ANN: Pygments support for LilyPond
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2021 06:09:54 +0000 (UTC)

> According to Gavin, Texinfo has no way to print text monospace text
> in bold.

Here's the thing: The CM family doesn't contain a font for monospace
bold.  Since `texinfo.tex` essentially only uses this font family,
there is no support for it.

> [...] Doing
>
> \input{texinfo}
>
> @tex
> \textbf{ABC}DEF
> @end tex
>
> XXX
>
> @bye
>
> I get all of "ABCDEF" bold. I don't understand why.

This I can explain.  Contrary to LaTeX, `\textbf` doesn't take an
argument in texinfo.  It simply switches to a bold font, and you have
to limit its effect with a group:

  {\textbf ABC}DEF

> Do you happen to have solutions for the whole TeX thing?  Otherwise
> I think I'll give up on that and only implement HTML for now.  I
> admire your TeX wizardry, but as to me personally, the *TeX suite
> just makes me tear my hair out...

:-)

To be serious: Is the use of bold typewriter mandatory?  Is there a
solution that only uses italics and colours?  Do we also need bold
italic typewriter?

If we really need that, I can set up a solution – please give me one
day.  For XeTeX (and luatex), it's almost trivial.  For pdfTeX,
however, it needs more efforts.  I guess it makes sense for testing
purposes to have support for both pdfTeX and XeTeX.

    Werner

PS: Since my patch to `@setcolor` is probably not going upstream, I
    will also set up a solution without modifying `texinfo.tex`.