Re: RFC: rethink horizontal alignment of mid-staff bar numbers

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: RFC: rethink horizontal alignment of mid-staff bar numbers
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 08:22:28 -0500

On Nov 15, 2020, at 10:01, Joram Noeck <joram.noeck@gmx.de> wrote:

> 1. putting the bar number over the measure it belongs just makes sense
> (-> Gould)
. . .
> 3. In particular at the start of a line, the number is moved up by every
> treble clef, i.e. we have an exception by collision avoidance in the
> most common case. (-> current or MR)

Clarification: (3) may be a disadvantage of the example that has been labeled
"Gould," but I don't believe that we have found a start-of-line example in
Behind Bars.  I think we could address both (1) and (3) by leaving
start-of-line numbers as they are and shifting mid-line numbers into their
measure.

Also, let me add,

6. Resourceful people have provided some good examples in
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/447 (-> ?)

At least one of those examples also shows an alternative solution to (3): align
bar numbers to the right of clefs and key signatures (as LilyPond currently
does for rehearsal marks).  I'm not advocating it, just mentioning it.
—
Dan