Re: branching stable/2.22?

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: branching stable/2.22?
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2020 12:29:44 +0200

Am Dienstag, den 25.08.2020, 12:06 +0200 schrieb Jean Abou Samra:

> > > As I see it, you're asking something nobody, apparently, can give you. We
> > > need to create the process instead of finding it out: what do you think
> > > it should take to branch?
> >
> > For me, creating the branch is nothing more than saying "feature
> > development is over and the current set is worth making stable". Which
> > I'm arguing is already there with Python 3 and the possibility to use
> > Guile 2. See my very initial message.
>
> At the same time, you're saying that branching is not going to happen next
> week. Please elaborate on your mind: when should that happen?

After below points have happened and after gathering agreement that
there are no open blockers to branching. IMO that would be something
fundamentally broken which can be expected to hit every user. AFAICT
that's not the case. Other problems can be addressed by picking fixes
into the branch.
(It probably makes sense to branch right after making some future
unstable release, which implies that GUB is mostly happy, but that's
some minor detail I would say.)

> > On the administrative side, I think
> > * there should be another reformatting for all C++ and Scheme
> > * docs should be updated, including authors.itexi
> > Everything else can and should be picked as needed.
>
> [...]
>
> We're having, in fact, similar views. You say that we need to stabilize the
> code base through branching, which I  entirely agree with -- except that
> right now is not the right time.

So what objective function would you use to set an agreeable date? Just
time, January 2021 being a shot in the dark?