Re: branching stable/2.22?

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: branching stable/2.22?
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2020 23:04:07 +0200

Am Dienstag, den 25.08.2020, 07:51 -0600 schrieb Carl Sorensen:
> On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 7:13 AM Jonas Hahnfeld <hahnjo@hahnjo.de> wrote:
> > I know I'll regret it because I still don't know what objective
> > criteria others have, but as you really insist on a statement:
> > in the week of 14th of September (this year, 2020, just to be clear)
> > or put differently: right after 2.21.7, from that very tag
> > As said before, I wouldn't make any commitment on the date of the final
> > release.
>
> Rather than a date, I'd prefer a criterion.
>
> Once we have an unstable release with the build system in good shape (all the
> auxiliary scripts work well, the website builds correctly, the MacOS build is
> functional at least on MacPorts), I'd be in favor of creating a pre-release
> candidate (which in the past has *not* been a stable branch, but a big bump
> in the version number; the CG refers to this as an alpha) and implementing
> the Build-frozen state listed in the CG.

Are you sure this is what happened in the past? I mean I didn't
participate, so all I can rely on is git and the mailing list archives.

For 2.18, I see
 - release/2.17.29-1 tagged on 20 October 2013
 -
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2013-10/msg00189.html
 on 22 October 2013
 - release/2.17.95-1 tagged on 04 November 2013
 -
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2013-11/msg00077.html
 on 05 November 2013
As far as I understand, stable/2.18 was created before 2.17.95 (which
was incorrectly released from master, see above). The merge base
between current master and stable/2.18 points to April 2014 which is
probably due to a partial merge? Certainly after 2.18.0 had been
released in December 2013.

For 2.20, I see
 - considerations in December 2016:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2016-12/msg00348.html
 -
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2017-06/msg00030.html
 on 06 June 2017
 - release/2.19.65-1 tagged on 06 August 2017
 - merge-base HEAD stable/2.20: 0712559601, committed 08 August 2017
and merged into stable/2.20 on 16 August 2017
 -
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2017-08/msg00068.html
 on 16 August 2017
 - release/2.19.80-1 tagged on 16 October 2017

This looks like the release candidates (coinciding with the big bump)
have (or should have been) released from the stable/ branches?

That said, I'm not opposed to doing a pre-release candidate from master
and git history tells little about possible freezes. Just trying to
understand what might have worked in the past...