Re: helping with testing resources

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: helping with testing resources
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 21:06:51 +0200

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 7:45 PM Jonas Hahnfeld <address@hidden> wrote:

> Am Dienstag, den 26.05.2020, 12:22 -0500 schrieb Karlin High:
> > On 5/23/2020 1:00 PM, Jonas Hahnfeld wrote:
> > > If you have spare hardware and / or want to help with CI testing
> >
> > I've built LilyPond from source a number of times, but not to mastery of
> > the process. And I have a computer shop and lots of hardware choices,
> > and wonder what to set up for best service here. What is usually the
> > resource constraint for building LilyPond - CPU, RAM, or disk I/O?
>
> The really time consuming part of the CI pipeline is documentation
> build which scales badly already with 2-4 threads. So probably
> something with a high frequency? I don't have a comparison though.

The scaling of the doc build should be fixed with
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/84

It currently gets 313% CPU time on my 4 core system. I'd be curious to
hear how it scales for higher core counts.  It parallelizes the all of
the documents across all languages, so it should scale up to about 55
threads.