Re: A suggestion: add \rf to built-in dynamics

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: A suggestion: add \rf to built-in dynamics
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2020 23:28:43 +0100

Am So., 5. Jan. 2020 um 14:20 Uhr schrieb Peter Toye <address@hidden>:

> Saturday, January 4, 2020, 6:46:56 PM, you wrote:
>
> > Am Sa., 4. Jan. 2020 um 16:44 Uhr schrieb Peter
> > Toye <address@hidden>:
>
> > Well, coding new functionality is only one possibility.
>
> ...and debugging someone else's code is even worse. Especially in a language
> I dn't speak fluently.
> But I'm really not familiar in any detail with the whole patching process,
> whether or not I use git directly or via LilyDev and/or lily-git and/or
> git-cl (the relationship between these components is a bit pobscure to me).

git-cl is a different tool

> And even when I've worked out exactly what text/code needs to go where,

Once you've access to the source-files then many parts fall into the
right place automatically, at least I hope so ;)

> there's the business of submitting it. CG section 3 says at the head "Send
> patch files to the appropriate place:".

Using git-cl will do the job for you.

> But I don't have an official mentor (How does one get one? Ask for one here?),

Well, the idea of mentoring is a very nice one. As far as I can tell
it never worked really.
Though, you'll get always support here. At least as long as people are
available.
Speaking only for me, tomorrow my winter-break ends, meaning I'll have
less time for LilyPond.

> nor am I an "experienced developer" in any way. I imagine you are.

I'm not a programmer, and I never got any formal lessons on it, i.e.
I'm an autodidact.

> Also, I'm a Linux newbie - still trying to get my head around the whole
> 'container' concept. There seem to be a number of different container
> management systems: Docker and LXC to name but two. Does it matter which one
> I use? My system is systemd-free (on purpose), and the instructions you
> pointed out to me earlier imply that I should have it. Is this a show-stopper?

Don't know. I hope Federico does. cc-ing him.

> > Sometimes there are typos/grammar/syntax to correct.
>
> That's slightly more my line.
>
> > Furthermore, our documentation always needs people working on it.
> > Not being a native speaker I often hesitate
> > doing so myself and if I
> > try, it's a major task for me...
>
> You could have kidded me - I think your English is at least as good as mine.

>Well, I have some practise in _writing_ mails, but you never heard my _spoken_
>english ;)

Cheers,
  Harm