Re: Website upload

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Website upload
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2017 11:45:14 +0100

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 07.03.2017 um 11:24 schrieb Phil Holmes:
>
>> Again - this needs answering with a bit of care, because the website
>> and the docs are closely linked.  It appears to me that putting any of
>> the documentation (which includes part of the webite) is doen with
>> rsync without the delete option.  See
>> https://github.com/gperciva/gub/blob/master/test-lily/upload.py line 175.
>
> OK, there's some general discussion in here.
>
> Basically I think such an upload should definitely include the
> --delete option because we don't want an arbitrary number of orphaned
> files on the server, isn't it?

We don't want orphaned files, no, but one better make a complete backup
first because not all files might be orphaned copies but may have been
added on the server only for some purpose.  Symlinks, referal files,
permission/login files and similar stuff.

> But OTOH, as the current issue demonstrates, Google may point to these
> files, and I'm not fully sure about the implications of these files
> being removed.

They'll eventually get to removing their pointers.