Re: Website upload

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Website upload
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2017 23:51:57 +0100

Am 06.03.2017 um 23:43 schrieb Phil Holmes:
> Simple answer - I run the GUB uploader.
>
> Slightly more useful one: there are two aspects to the "website":  the
> one that is created with "make website".  This is a fairly simple
> step, and any change to any file that is part of "website" is
> automatically picked up by the website - it has a pair of cron jobs
> that pull git and run "make website" every hour.  The more complex
> parts of the site (e.g. the docs) are created by GUB with a "make
> lilypond" and then uploaded with a GUB command that rsynch's my disk
> with lilypond.org.
>
> I suspect this won't answer your question, but does move the issue
> forward. Please ask more - if I can answer, I will.

OK. The concrete question (already raised by Federico) is:
Whenever the *website* is uploaded (I don't talk about the manuals) does
this involve rsync (seems so)? And if it does is the --delete option
used? Because otherwise remainders of renamed nodes will be kept on the
website (without being properly linked).

@node GSoC 2012
will result in gsoc-2012.html, gsoc-2012.de.html etc.

When that is renamed to
@node Google Summer of Code
the generated files are google-summer-of-code.html,
google-summer-of-code.de.html etc.

In that case the gsoc-2012... files have to be purged from the website.
and somehow it looks this isn't the case, presumably leading to a huge
amount of such orphaned files on the server.

A special case (as brought up by Werner) is the fact that
http://lilypond.org/gsoc.html is completely outdated but at the same
time a prominent search result at Google. So if our assumption is
correct and there are numeorus obsolete files on the server *this* one
should note simply be deleted but redirected to
http://lilypond.org/google-summer-of-code.html.

Urs