Re: Adds dimension stencil command to correct with-dimension (issue 1295

From: dak
Subject: Re: Adds dimension stencil command to correct with-dimension (issue 12957047)
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 10:31:52 +0000

On 2013/08/26 10:18:04, mike7 wrote:

I think Harm is right that, irrespective of documentation, users use
what's
available.

If people meddle with internals instead of using provided API functions,
they deserve whatever they get.

If we're going to add something, we want to be sure that it has a
certain degree of permanency.  I don't think we can treat it as an
implementation detail if it is publicly useable.

_Anything_ is "publicly useable".  If that's supposed to be a criterion,
we may not change LilyPond ever again.  We try to support programming
interfaces as long as it is feasible.  But the way those are internally
implemented is _not_ _ever_ guaranteed to remain the same.  If you mess
with internals, all bets are _off_.

Anything else would preclude us from improving how LilyPond works
internally.

https://codereview.appspot.com/12957047/