Re: maintaining advanced power-user Scheme functions

From: Jan-Peter Voigt
Subject: Re: maintaining advanced power-user Scheme functions
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 11:13:31 +0200

Hi there,

well, I didn't read all messages of this thread, but I see two points of discussion:
1. we already have LSR
2. who likes to use git?

1.: Well, we have LSR, but the current implementation needs a tomcat-server with mysql. I did use tomcat sometimes and created some webapps, but as a born pacifist I really don't like to call files *.WAR ;) ok, no more joking! This part is maintained by one(?) person and my impression is, that its not that easy to get in touch? I know, every lily user can start the update, but wouldn't it be easier, if one, submitting a snippet, is upgrading it to the current stable version?
hm, but who is contacting whom to kick off the upgrade?
IMO we have something, but it would be very nice to optimize it.

2.: a) I like git ;)
b) thinking of a web front end, which uses GIT as a storage backend is (IMHO) not that bad.

3.: (a third point of disussion? Well, I just had a thought, which does not exactly fit the two former points ...)
I was thinking of building yet another snippet repository (YASR ;)
* The repository shall be searchable - like the current LSR
* The snippets shall be tagged, for which lily-version they work!
If one finds a snippet, not running in the lily-version he is actually using, he is able to post an updated version. * If there is a scheme-snippet, it might not be useful, to produce any PDF/PNG but maybe text

But to create this, a lot of things have to work:
* Website with Database (searching) - this is made up easy, but can mean a lot of work * ... and different running versions of lilypond - this propably forces a dedicated server, which means more administration

Just some thoughts

Cheers, Jan-Peter