Re: maintaining advanced power-user Scheme functions

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: maintaining advanced power-user Scheme functions
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 10:45:23 -0700 (PDT)

I'll throw in a couple of my thoughts:

A. The user-friendly web interface for contributing snippets to the LSR is
really key for it to work for novice users like myself (at least when I
started).  I find it quite convenient and easy to use.  If I had had to
learn git in order to contribute a snippet, I never would have done so.

Fortunately, it sounds like Janek's idea is to use git as the storage or
back end for the LSR (allowing git users to work with it directly via git),
but make it so that it is still usable via a simple web interface for those
who don't know git.  Unfortunately, that sounds like a lot of work to me.

B. The real area that could use improvement is supporting more than one
version of LilyPond on the LSR.  (Probably 3 versions would suffice: the
current dev version and the two most recent stable versions.)  This would
make it easier to upgrade since snippets could be done one at a time rather
than all at once.  That in turn would lower the bar for volunteering to help
with upgrading snippets.

To me the multiple versions issue is the most important thing to focus on.
(And I think David K is probably right that git is not the best tool for
this.)

FWIW,
-Paul