Re: wrt 'Make doc crashing on my PC'

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: wrt 'Make doc crashing on my PC'
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 10:43:38 +0200

Petr Gajdos <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, Aug 08, 2013 at 01:47:29PM +0200, Petr Gajdos wrote:
>> Reply to 'Make doc crashing on my PC' thread started on 22 Jun 2013.
>>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I have same symptomps like Phil described.
>>
>> Snippet of build log:
>> ---------------------8<--------------------------
>>  /home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/lilypond-2.17.23/scripts/build/out/run-and-check
>> "/usr/bin/lilypond -dpreview -dresolution=150 -o ./out-www
>> orchestra.ly" "orchestra.preview.log"
>>
>>  Please check the logfile orchestra.preview.log for errors
>>
>>  make[2]: *** [out-www/orchestra.png] Error 139
>> --------------------->8--------------------------
>
> 2.17.24 plus d87f3084a9e83a72d509dbc5196800062eee3f28 resloved the
> problem at least on my machine. Will test more.
>
> Thanks a lot for extraordinary quick fix!

Two months after discovery does not seem extraordinarily quick.  I've
tackled GCC code generation problems faster than that, but whenever I
vaguely thought of the problem, I did not find the bug issue and forgot
about it again.

So I finally had to do all the mailing list research myself and create
an issue with the information collected so far.  That would usually have
been the job of the bug squad which is quite reliable in general.
Reliable enough that their work is not really all that noticeable.
Until something goes wrong.

The bug itself seems to be at least from 2.17.1 times but it probably
got flushed to the surface by pure/unpure changes that finally gave it a
bigger execution time window to cause damage.

The positive fallout from that is that I've gotten annoyed enough to
install a 64bit kernel on my system (while retaining the 32bit userland)
and multilib support.  I can now generate 64bit executables and run
them, though it seems one still can't install things like guile-dev in
both flavors at once.  Maybe Ubuntu 13.10 will be better in that
respect.