Re: wrt 'Make doc crashing on my PC'

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: wrt 'Make doc crashing on my PC'
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 00:07:26 +0000 (UTC)

Phil Holmes <mail <at> philholmes.net> writes:

> [...]

My revert of my first attempt at better tempo-mark spacing (issue 3279)
was also between 17.18 and 17.19, and this first attempt of mine avoided
issue 3409 for a couple minor versions.

When I run LilyPond on orchestra.ly using the debugger, the first time I
see a stack layout matching Petr's backtrace is during the horizontal
spacing step, when LilyPond is estimating the vertical position of the
"Presto" tempo mark, in order to see if it is necessary to allow
horizontal space for it.  That tempo mark contains all 25 StaffSymbols
in the score as its as side-suport-elements, the objects whose positions
it uses to determine its own position.

This means LilyPond tries to do a tentative vertical spacing of the
staves, which depends in turn on the vertical position of the "Presto"
mark through various paths.  With debugging on, I get four messages
"programming error: cyclic dependency: calculation-in-progress
 encountered for #'adjacent-pure-heights (VerticalAxisGroup)"
when executing side-position-interface.cc:239, immediately before
the call to the Skyline_pair constructor on line 240 that appears
in Petr's stack trace.

These error messages (issue 3409) have been around for a few major
versions.  My first attempt at issue 3279 skipped the step of
estimating the vertical positions of tempo marks, avoiding the error
messages, and possibly avoiding the crash.