Re: Make doc; create-weblinks and translations

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Make doc; create-weblinks and translations
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 16:56:16 +0100

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

> 1. No Czech translations means lots of error messages (which could
> obscure ones
> we actually want to see, in order to correct them).

> I plan to create a patch that will:
>
> a) Restore the -cs pages to use -en (default) "translations" thus
> getting rid of
> the errors.

I noticed that a lot of half-translated Czech pages contain a lot of
stuff from the _German_ translation.  Now I don't know just the
percentage of people in the Czech republic that would get along better
with German rather than English, but the copied German passages are
probably by now more outdated than their source (which is already
downstream from the English one in terms of timeliness as well as
naturalness of expression).

At any rate, the question for me is whether we should not remove
languages from the web altogether that are not actively maintained
and/or reasonably complete.  It is misleading to characterize them as
"manuals for 2.17" when they have not seen work since 2.12 or something.