Issue 37 - new work

From: Mike Solomon
Subject: Issue 37 - new work
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 21:47:13 -0500

Hey all,

I have a new Issue 37 fix.

The attached patch set implements a 2-pass approach through the quanting that
is potentially a huge time drain in scores with lots of collisions, but likely
not a time drain for most scores.  The problem is that the quanting algorithm,
by fixing a region size, sometimes places all possible solutions in a range in
which a collision will happen.  The algorithm will also sometimes create
collisions where there were none before, making it impossible to check for them
beforehand.  Thus, we need to let that collision happen, then move the beam
such that it is around the point of the collision, and then rerun the quanting
algorithm.  If you only apply the first patch, you'll still get something that
works, but w/ no good quanting.

I'd like to hear your opinions - do you see anyway to trim down the
computations?

I've been using the attached .ly file to monitor the results.  The only odd
thing is the small beam for the C that is being squashed by the G, but I can't
figure out a better solution with proper quants.  The alternative here would be
just turning off the collision avoiding, but I haven't figured out how to do
that in that particular scenario.  Otherwise, all of Han-Wen's concerns are
addressed.  And, as before, the truly heinous collisions are unavoidable
because there is no way to anticipate desired output.

I still need to do a make check.

Cheers,
Mike