Re: Example for melismaBusyProperties in NR extremely misleading

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Example for melismaBusyProperties in NR extremely misleading
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 20:42:06 -0000

Reinhold Kainhofer wrote Thursday, January 20, 2011 7:31 PM

In NR 2.1.1 ("Multiple notes to a syllable") we have an example for melismaBusyProperties, which is extremely misleading, as it gives the expression that this property can be used to skip notes without assigning a
lyrics syllable:
http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/notation/common-notation-for-
vocal-music.html#multiple-notes-to-one-syllable

Actually, I don't see the point for this snippet: If one wants to assign one syllable to multiple notes (i.e. a melisma), it is really counter-productive
to disable melismata in the notes.

I agree; the example is bad.  Its purpose is to explain
melismaBusyProperties and it fails to do this clearly.

If anything, melismas should be explained in the next section "Skipping
notes",

?? But this whole subsection is about melismata.

Skipping notes has a different purpose, eg skipping
a note needed in one language but not in another.
Again, a better example could be devised.

and the example should be changed to show that it is possible to
really assign a syllable to the second note of a tie/slur or so.

I agree.  I'll have a look at improving this section.

Trevor